The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) will present the 38th ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards on March 3, 2024. Recognizing excellence in cinematography, the annual ASC Awards honor the extraordinary work of directors of photography who have excelled in the art and craft of visual storytelling. The annual ceremony will be held at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Calif., and live streamed worldwide.
In addition to presenting awards in feature films, episodic and documentaries, the organization has announced the addition of a music video category. “Since the emergence of the music videos, they have made a profound impact on how we tell stories in contemporary times,” said ASC President Shelly Johnson. “We want to celebrate the cinematographers who set the bar so high and show us new and innovative ways of storytelling year in and year out.”
• To be eligible for the ASC inaugural Music Video Award, the video must have a release date between Oct. 1, 2022 and Oct. 31, 2023.
• Theatrical Feature Films must have a release date between Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2023. The deadline for theatrical feature film entries is Dec. 4, 2023
• For all TV categories, a show must air or stream between Dec. 1, 2022 - Nov. 30, 2023. The deadline for television submissions is Nov. 15, 2023.
• Eligible Documentaries must be released or air between Dec. 1, 2022 - Nov. 30, 2023. The deadline for documentaries to be submitted is Oct. 31, 2023.
• The ASC will also bestow a Spotlight Award. ASC members nominate and vote on winners in this category.
A complete timeline for the 37th ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards and additional details can be found at theasc.com.
Key dates include:
• Submissions Open for All Categories Sept 18, 2023
• Music Video and Documentary Entries Due Oct. 31, 2023
• TV Entries Due Nov. 15, 2023
• Theatrical Feature Film Entries Due Dec. 4, 2023
• TV and Music Video Nominations Voting Opens Dec. 7, 2023
• Theatrical Feature Voting Opens Dec. 14, 2023
• Theatrical Feature, TV and Music Video Nom Voting Closes (Noon PT) Jan. 9, 2024
• Nominations Announced (all categories) Jan. 11, 2024
• Final Voting Begins Jan. 18, 2024
• Final Voting Ends Feb. 28, 2024
• 38th ASC Awards / Winners announced (all categories) March 3, 2024
Honorary awards, including the ASC Lifetime Achievement Award and Board of Governors Award, will also be presented at the ceremony.
ASC was founded in 1919. There are more than 440 members today who have national roots in some 20 countries. More than 275 associate members hail from ancillary segments of the industry.